Friday, June 23, 2006

 

Rich Dad, Poor Dad – Robert T. Kiyosaki, Sharon L. Lechter (Incredible)

This was my first successful attempt at reading non-fiction “advice” book and I LOVED it! I have been seeing this on the best-seller list for so long now but I never thought I’d read it. When I started reading it, I did not have the slightest idea about its contents. “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” is an excellent book for everyone in their 20’s and 30’s. It is a MUST read. It is not so much the knowledge but the way he puts across the simplest things where you want to go “Duh-uh”! It is common knowledge which most of us either lack or often overlook. Many may disagree with a lot of his points since he is very blunt in a few places. However, I think that is his whole point – he wants controversy and he enjoys it. I really liked the way he dispensed advice and talked about why “saving” and “investing” is vital in this day and age. There were many things that I understood and agreed with but there were also a few things that I can never see myself doing. As for example he says, “Always pay yourself first”. By that he means that pay your bills last because if you don’t have enough money, that may challenge you to look for ways to earn that money. I could never do that! I would always pay my bills first come what may.

“Rich Dad, Poor Dad” is a story of how Kiyosaki grew up learning from his real dad (the poor dad), and his friend Mike's dad (the rich dad). Poor dad was well educated and had a good job, but retired poor as he did not learn how to effectively grow his wealth. Rich dad was not well educated academically, but learned how to use money to build a great fortune through owning businesses and investing.

Take this book with a pinch of salt. Try and learn what may be relevant to you and disregard things that you don’t see yourself doing. I highly recommend this book to everyone who wants to continue to enjoy this era. As Kiyosaki rightly says “we are living in the best time” and so we need to make the most of it!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?