Wednesday, November 23, 2005

 

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb (Good)

I read this book a few months ago and this was my first one by Wally Lamb. I wasn’t quiet sure what to expect. It was a shocker to me that such a sensitive story could be written by a man!

She’s Come Undone” is a story about an overweight girl – Dolores Price – who must cope with her parents' bad marriage, her mother's breakdown, and a move to her grandmother's house. Dolores is already unpopular at school, bullied by girls in her class and barely able to cope with her difficult grandmother. Her problems only increase when handsome Jack Spreight and his wife move into the apartment her grandmother rents. It takes a tragedy for Dolores to decide to give college a try, but she finds that she still doesn't fit in any better than she fits into the jeans she constantly wears. Confused, Dolores is alone and doesn't know what to do or where to go. When she hits rock bottom, things start to look up.

Few parts of the book get a bit depressing and her dysfunctional family is a bit difficult to take. Overall, the book has an eccentric quality to it and is surely worth a read. I recently bought Wally Lamb’s, “I know this much is true” and am looking forward to reading that too.

Comments:
The second book is even better. I plan on doing a rereading soon. I was amazed at his development of character in She's Come Undone--quirky and unconventional. I wonder what you will think of his second book--I can't wait until he publishes another.

I am a book fiend too!
 
Yeah...I've heard that the second one's better. I am currently reading "In Her Shoes" by Jennifer Weiner and I like it - easy reading. The past few books I've read have been chick lits. Please suggest some books you've loved. I am always looking for some unconventional books/authors.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?