Monday, October 31, 2005

 

Interpreter Of Maladies – Jhumpa Lahiri (Fantastic)

The “Interpreter Of Maladies” is a collection of nine stories that concern snapshots of lives and characters that are unassuming. I really, really enjoyed this book. I was pleased that not all the stories had happy endings that wrapped up neatly; I found this really refreshing and realistic. The stories are varied and thoroughly enchanting but the ones that work best are those that capture the absurdity of ordinary situations. There are no heroes and villains in these stories, just people who are vaguely disgruntled in their relationships due to discord with their new surroundings.

According to me, Lahiri did a wonderful job of describing her characters - I felt like I really knew them and could empathize. What I loved most of all, is that she did it in short story format. Therefore, you need not read this in one stretch (although I think you will, because you’ll find it very interesting). Lahiri writes about the Indian American experience from all angles in indelible, lifelike stories that are completely predictable, but only in retrospect. This is a great read and I highly recommend it.

Comments:
Hey - I LOVE this blog. I do something similar on my Literary Mosaic...

Have read both of Jhumpa Lahiri's works - there definitely is a reason why she won the Pulitzer! Looking fwd to the film adaptation of Namesake...hope it's good.

Dropped by your other blog as well - it's fun! Adding you to my blogroll already! :-)
 
Thanks Geetanjali! I'll check out your other blog soon...though I must say I am not too much into literature (even though it would have sounded so cool!). I LOVE books(obviously)and lately I have been reading a lot of chick lit which I am not very proud of. I should start literature...I may even like it :-)
 
'ello wonderful blogger....i just discovered a mine of info...now i knw where to come as soon as i finish a book and want to start another :)
Abt Interpreter of maladies - you wont believe i have had the book with me for a year and not turned a single page. maybe its the cover i dont like but just not able to get myself to start reading it! maybe after reading your blog i will read the book as well.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?